Thursday, June 22, 2006

pruning

A new gardener often has difficulty pruning and thinning. You have to plant a lot of seeds, then pinch off some of the seedlings that sprout, so that the remaining seedlings have enough space and light to grow large and strong. You have to cut off some blooms if you want to eventually have a more bloom-filled plant. This is painful when you are a new gardener. Every seedling, every bloom is beautiful. How to choose? After you've been doing if for a long time, you've seen the benefits and it is not so uncomfortable. You get a feel for which should go and which should stay, even when they all look equally promising. It takes time to reach this level of expertise. Until then you have to do guess work and make yourself let some beautiful things go even if you can't stand it.

1 comment:

Libby Koponen said...

I know this is a metaphor but I find the gardening advice good, too! I'm still at the stage where I can't stand to kill ANY of my plants -- so they're all squished together, probably killing each other. Maybe this weekend I'll be brave and prune. --Libby
PS I like the metaphor,too!