Sunday, October 19, 2008

deus ex machina

The things I need to clear out of my attic have caused me a lot of anxiety, not the least of which are these 6 sewing machines I inherited from my mother and grandmothers. Nobody needs 6 machines, certainly, and I should get rid of at least half of them. However looking at them all together in a row is like looking at my maternal ancestry. I love them all as if they were my family. And they are such fine and sturdy machines, lost in a time when good plain mechanics and domestic arts are not nearly as valued as they were when these beauties were born. My whole life right now is revolving around these six as I try to determine their pasts and their futures. 

4 comments:

Dawn Alice Rogers said...

KEEP THEM!! Never worry about the value of things that hurt your heart to give up. They are special. How much would you value that extra space after theyre gone?!

ChatRabbit said...

Yeah- keep them. Is there a chance you could build a strong shelf somewhere, higher than usual, to display them? That's what I'd do...and take one down every now and then to use.

Linda S. Wingerter said...

:) Thanks, ladies. We'll see.

monogirl said...

It looks like the 3rd one back is a Singer Slant-O-Matic made a few years after mine. And oh, that Pfaff is gorgeous! If you get rid of it I will kill you!