Monday, January 01, 2007

change of direction

Before roller derby interrupted, I was working at reversing my figure skating spin. In ice skating you can do your jumps and spins clockwise or counterclockwise. Counterclockwise is as common as right handedness, but either way you do both in the same direction.

I developed split direction early on, I jumped counterclockwise and spinned clockwise. A major flaw. A few years ago I set on teaching myself the other direction. It's not easy to switch. It made me nauseous a lot and my spins would travel 10 or 15 feet. I read about the clockwise-turning whirling dervishes so I tried pretending to be a dervish and imagined myself as the axis of the universe. It became the best sort of meditation and an enjoyable daily ritual of sorts. After 2 years I finally got a pretty good counterclockwise spin going, a dozen times better then my clockwise ever was.

No comments: